good buddies and beer

a blog by Ryan Pollock

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Firefox Stylish Plugin

Today for some reason I remembered that it was possible to define a custom css stylesheet for a web page in Firefox. When I was researching how to do it I found a guide on Tech Reads about the Firefox plugin Stylish. Stylish really streamlines the process of setting up custom styles for different sites. It seems that the mecca repository of those styles is located at Userstyles.org. Using this plugin and the custom styles that are out there on the net it is possible to easily customize your favorite sites on the internet. This will make you cool, I promise!

Once you have installed the Stylish plugin you can add new styles by hand or automatically at userstyles.org. I installed one for Google that is fantastic. It is a dark gray theme that looks amazing and also helps functionally by hiding advertisments in the search results. To use it you go to the user style page at userstyles.org. If you click the "Load into Styleish" button it will pop up the Stylish plugin with the custom css loaded. Go to Google and then click Preview on the Sylish plugin. If you like the way the page looks then save the style in Stylish, otherwise just hit cancel. So far I've customized Google, gMail, and YouTube. I had to customize the gmail one a bit because google had changed the name of one of their images. I can see that maintaining these custom styles could be a bit of a pain as they could potentially break every time the site is updated. I guess thats just the price you pay for being awesome though.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home