good buddies and beer

a blog by Ryan Pollock

Friday, November 09, 2007

Ryan Pollock is going down!

Ok I'm going to admit something totally selfish. One of the reasons that I started actively blogging again is because I want to be the top "Ryan Pollock" when you search on google. I think that I either was the top or was close to the top years ago when I was actively running and had a lot of results up on the net. Since then other Ryan Pollocks have emerged that are, according to PageRank, more important than me. The competition is rather fierce for the spot. We have some other sports players, some business type people, and then the end-boss of the "ryan pollock" google search game. His name is Ryan Pollock and he owns ryanpollock.com. The reason that this guy is going to be tough to take down is that he works at freaking Google! The dude also took out a google ad for his name!

Its going to be hard, but I'll be the top Ryan Pollock eventually. I'm going to really enjoy topping out that cheating google-Ryan Pollock. When I resurected this blog in June I was not even on the first page of results. Now I am #5! I don't know why but its my post about OpenMoko that put me up there, very strange.

I haven't been trying too too hard to get my PageRank up. I put more references to my name in the site than were there before but thats about it. I might subscribe to one of those blog notification services that ping all the blog index sites when you update. Thats probably about all I'll do, except keep posting of course.

All other Ryan Pollocks consider yourself warned! I'm coming to get you!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wouldn't ryan pollock be going up as well?
so it seems to me....

ryan pollock goes both ways

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger pollock said...

Ha, your logic is impeccable anonymous. I must, in fact, go both ways!

So unfortunately something must have changed on the 'net because I'm back off the front page. Current ranking on google is now 17th with my beer mile results. Its a sad sad day.

I blame the cheating Google Ryan, he must be responsible for it!

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still A+ Numba 1. Sucka.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Joe G said...

The solution is simple - buy www.ryanpollock.net (available) and point it at this blog. You can do that through Blogger by logging in and clicking Settings, Publishing, Buy One Now. Buy it now before some prankster buys it and points it at a marketing site for hemmerhoid cream.

Google pays attention to the links going to your site and the words in your domain, so www.ryanpollock.net will rise higher than cakeface.blogspot.com. Also submit your site to Google using Webmaster tools.

Come on man, SEO is the FUTURE!!!

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger pollock said...

Hey Joe! Thanks for the SEO tips. I already did submit the site to Google using their webmaster tools but it hasn't really upped my ranking.

Its tempting to get ryanpollock.net but I don't know if I want that to be my blog name. Its way too similar to my doppleganger's site, ryanpollock.com. Also I think that if I go down the road of spending money to improve my search results then I'm no better than cheating Google-Ryan.

I do want to game the SEO stuff up but I don't think that I want it to be the only reason that I'm numba one stunna.

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not willing to sell out to beat the evil google pollock. Noble. Or lazy. Either way I applaud your non-efforts. But you might have to face the fact that there's a reason your mom has heard of blink 182 but nobody knows who the new amsterdams are. Think about it.

P.S. Angela says hi.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should name-drop in your blog more... For example: "I (Ryan Pollock) just got a call from Jerry, my mechanic in Waltham (where I, Ryan Pollock) live)... ... I'm (Ryan Pollock) psyched that I (Ryan Pollock) finally found... etc etc."

Who knows, maybe it will work... haha

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Ryan Pollock said...

Ryan,

I enjoyed your post very much. It's nice to know that I have some competition. I may actually have to blog again to keep my #1 ranking! Rest assured that I did nothing to manipulate Google to point to my site :)

The Real Ryan Pollock

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger pollock said...

Hah "The Real Ryan Pollock"

that made me chuckle.

Its on like Donkey Kong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home